Holiday Kale Salad
KALE SALAD WITH ROASTED BUTTERNUT & DELICATA SQUASH, BRUSSELS, POMEGRANATE, AND PUMPKIN SEEDS
1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled, seeds removed, cut into bite size cubes
1 medium Delicata squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed,
cut into 1/8 inch thick moons
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, shredded ( I cut in half and then closely chop each half into strips
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1 whole head garlic
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1 1/2 pounds Tuscan kale (about 2 large bunches), stemmed, leaves thinly sliced
1/8 cup pomegranate seeds
½ cup olive oil
4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tsps finely chopped shallot
whole head of roasted garlic, removed and smashed into a paste
salt/pepper to taste
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Place whole head of garlic on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil, wrap securely in foil. Add to oven while it is preheating.
2. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together both types of squash, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and add to oven.
3. Roast squash 20-25 mins at 425°F in a single layer on a large sheet pan. Meanwhile, toss Brussels in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a dash of salt.
4. At the 25 min mark, move all squash to one side. Add Brussels to other side of pan. Remove garlic and set aside to cool. Roast squash and Brussels for 10 more mins.
5. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepitas and cook, stirring occasionally, until about half are golden brown, 2–3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with 1/4 tsp. salt. Set aside.
6. Now lets make the dressing! Cut off the top of the garlic head once it has cooled slightly and squeeze all of the softened garlic into a medium bowl. Whisk in the lemon juice, mustard, shallot, 1 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper, then whisk in oil in a slow, steady stream.
7. In a large mixing bowl, combine kale with 1 tablespoon of the dressing, and use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale. Add more dressing as needed (you won’t need all of it). Reserve any leftover dressing for another use.
8. Put kale in serving bowl and add the roasted squash and Brussels, pomegranate seeds to bowl; toss together to combine, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and serve!
Want to do some work ahead?
Squash, Brussels and garlic can be roasted, and kale can be sliced 1 day ahead; place separately in airtight containers and chill. Dressing can be made once garlic is roasted. Salad can be tossed together 30 minutes ahead; keep at room temperature.